Wondering what is smart casual dress code? Your arrival is appropriate.
The definition of “smart casual” varies depending on the setting, business, and industry.
Normally, smart casual is professional but a little relaxed – a polished take on more casual pieces of clothing as well as casual or fun items paired back with smarter pieces.
What is Smart Casual Dress Code?
Smart casual dress code is a professional dress style that incorporates trendy pieces into an outfit to achieve a clean, yet comfortable, semi-formal appearance.
Select from a wide range of clothing options, including skirts, dresses, pants, slacks, sweaters, collared shirts or blouses, and, depending on the situation, a blazer or jacket.
Related Reading: What is Business Casual?
How to Dress Smart Casual?
To nail the smart casual look, choose items such as:
- Tops: Neutral orcolorful and/or print blouses and shirts, smart cardigans in dressy fabrics such as crepe knit, silk button-up shirts or collared shirts. Another great way to dress up a look is with a well-tailored blazer worn separately rather than with a matching suit.
- Bottoms: tailored pants (choose from tapered, straight or wide-leg styles), smart chino pants, and dark wash denim, but be mindful that jeans may or may not be suitable, depending on the company. Styled pencil skirts that are knee-length or shorter and midi skirts are also suitable.
- Dresses: Wrap dresses, elegant pencil dresses, classy belted shirt dresses, and chic midi dresses. Dresses should be knee-length or shorter. Steer clear of very formal or classic pencil dresses.
- Shoes: A smart-casual outfit can be worn with either heels or flats. Choose from classy loafers, brogues, pointed flats, or ballet flats. Choose from slingbacks, kitten heels, pumps, block heels, stylish wedges, and ankle boots for your heels.
- Accessories: bolder jewelry adds your own personal touch but is limited to one or two statement pieces. Alternately, pick out a few classier, more understated accessories like necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. Silk scarves give an outfit a refined, sophisticated appearance as well.
5 Smart Casual Dress Code Mistakes
1. extremely casual attire. It’s far better to be overdressed than underdressed. Avoid wearing casual, weekend wear to the office such as cargo or jogger pants, floaty or long summer dresses, hoodies/jumpers, mini-skirts, and graphic or logo t-shirts
2. wearing conventional business attire from head to toe. This may imply that you are out of touch with current events or that you don’t understand the dress code. Inadequate personal style may also be indicated. Avoid a very stuffy corporate look while still pairing some traditional items with more relaxed attire.
3. not giving your appearance much thought. Your entire outfit, including your shoes, should be in excellent condition if you want to appear professional. This indicates that there are no obvious stains, pulled or loose threads, scuff marks, or broken heels. Additionally, your hair, makeup, and wrinkle-free clothing should all look polished.
4. Wearing any of the following:
- Leggings or anything that you would wear to a gym
- Spaghetti strap/halter top/strapless tops
- Low-cut tops that visibly show cleavage
- Anything that is even remotely see-through
- Lycra or any tight-fitting fabrics
- Thongs or flip-flops
5. wearing attire that is poorly fitted. This is true for any dress code, but it’s especially crucial when it comes to smart casual to maintain a professional appearance rather than one that is sloppy.
Conclusion on Smart Casual Dress Code
You’ll look great if you wear the right combination of casual and formal clothing.
It’s important to adhere to dress code policies and fit in with workplace culture, but don’t be afraid to be “YOU” during your workday, in your next interview, or at a networking event.
FAQs About Smart Casual Attire
Are Jeans Smart Casual?
In most cases, jeans can be viewed as smart casual dress codes.
Are Shorts Smart Casual?
However, there are regulations. First and foremost, shorts should always be tailored.
Can I Wear Sneakers for Smart Casual?
Sneakers are acceptable under the smart-casual dress code for both men and women as well as gender-neutral fashions.